Survivor Support

If you have experienced an incident that you think may be sexual misconduct/assault, it is important to care for yourself and to seek help from others who can care for you.

1Immediate Safety and Support

Go to a safe place

Getting to a place that you feel safe can be the first step to healing and/or dealing with the situation. A safe place will look different to all survivors; some suggestions might be to go to your home (if you are local), your own room, a friend’s room, or somewhere off-campus.

Speak to someone on campus

No matter what time it might be, there are staff around who can support you through this experience, if you choose to utilize them. Every survivor’s journey is different and you are not required to speak to anyone if you don’t want to. If you do want to speak to someone, the following people have been specifically trained in supporting survivors:

Call AWARE Sexual Assault Care Centre on 6779 0282

Speak to an AWARE SACC staff member who is trained to help and listen to those who have faced sexual assault or feel unsure about a sexual encounter.


2Seeking Immediate Medical Care

Even if you are still undecided of what action to take, please seek immediate medical care if you feel like you have been injured during the experience of sexual misconduct/assault. If you can, it’s best to avoid showering or bathing before arrival at a clinic/hospital. Bringing a change of clothing with you, if you are able, can be helpful.


3Seeking Action Afterwards

There are many resources and reporting options available for you after an unwanted sexual encounter. We encourage you to make decisions that are right for you; in general, we would also encourage seeking support from others, whether that be a staff member, a friend, a family member, or someone else you are close to.

You can pursue one or more options for reporting an instance of alleged sexual misconduct – filing a disciplinary complaint under the College’s policy on sexual misconduct and/or filing a police report. However, it is equally valid to choose to do nothing at the moment or to confide in a friend or to seek counselling on or off-campus.

  • Disciplinary Action. You can also choose to file a formal disciplinary complaint against a respondent who is also a Yale-NUS student. Approach Andrew McGeehan in the DOS Office to discuss this option further, or review the Sexual Misconduct Policy .
  • Police Report. You can file a police report against the respondent. A report of alleged sexual misconduct to law enforcement officials entails investigation and possible prosecution under the laws of Singapore. Seek on-campus assistance and support for filing a police report from any Residential Life Officers or Assistant Deans, and/or off-campus assistance from the AWARE SACC.

*A reporting party who has submitted a police report may still initiate disciplinary action, so long as these efforts would not interfere with any on-going law enforcement proceedings.


4Prioritise Self Care

As you make sense of what has happened, consider the following:

  • Be patient and kind to yourself. The healing process takes time and requires you to care for your emotional and psychological health. One key thing to realise is that it is not your fault that this has happened; the only responsibility lies with the perpetrator.
  • Try to do things you enjoy, and things that are part of your normal routine. This includes giving yourself permission to have positive experiences.
  • Find a healthy outlet to express your emotions. Some people find it useful to keep a journal, to write stories or poems, or to express themselves through drawings.
  • Don’t neglect your physical health and well-being. Getting adequate sleep, using exercise for stress relief, and eating well can help you heal. If you are having trouble sleeping, do seek appropriate professional help as sleep is an essential element for self-care.
  • Seek support from loved ones, You might want to seek support from family members, trusted friends and mentors, a member of the Student Support team, your Assistant Dean, a Residential Life Officers, your suitemates, etc, as they may be able to provide necessary comfort and care in this most challenging time.
  • Seek support from a professional. You may express your thoughts and feelings in a neutral setting where you do not feel that you have to protect the listener, worry about how the other person is feeling, or risk judgment.
Have Questions?
Andrew McGeehan
Associate Director

Contact with questions about Yale-NUS Student Community Standards, dispute resolution options, and Kingfishers for Consent.