General Housing Guidelines

1. Residential Colleges and Living Space Policies

Check-In and Check-Out Procedures

Opening and closing times for residence halls are specified in the Official Academic Calendar.


Students should arrive at the stipulated dates and times provided by the calendar, for check in at the beginning of the academic year and after the winter break. The College cannot accommodate early check-ins. When checking in for the first time, students will be given a Yale-NUS identification card for their new room and access to the campus. First-year students will received their NUS identification card for use at NUS facilities during Orientation.

Upon check-in, students should verify the inventory of the rooms and make a report to the Residential College Office, within 24 hours of returning/arriving to campus. If there are any missing/damaged items, including damages to the walls and fittings (fans, windows, blinds, air conditioners), students can request a room inventory form to note this damage. Failing to do so, it is deemed that the suite/room is in good condition.



Check-out dates and times usually coincide with the last meal served in the dining halls. Rooms must be cleaned and left in move-in condition or fines may be incurred. All belongings must be removed from the room and common areas or they may be discarded. Students will be charged accordingly if additional cleaning or painting is required due to damages. In the event that it is impossible to distinguish which roommate is responsible for damages, all roommates will be charged an equal share of the costs.

No late check-outs are allowed. Campus is fully closed during the winter break and no student is allowed to remain on campus. Yale-NUS does offer summer housing and students who have a need to stay over the summer will be able to apply for that during the Spring semester.


Yale-NUS ID Card

Students will receive a Yale-NUS identification card (ID card) that also serves as the access card to the campus, specific suite and bedroom. Students are strictly prohibited from passing access cards to friends or family members.


Lockouts or Loss of Yale-NUS ID

In the event of a lockout, students should drop by their respective RC office or contact the RCA on-call after hours. If students lose their Yale-NUS ID card, they should proceed to the Infra office on campus during the work day. If after- hours, the RCA on-call can use the master card to let the student into their room and the student will report to Facilities the next day. A new card can only be issued through the Facilities Office. The cost of this card is $30 (before GST).


Suite/Room Decorations

Only common rooms and bedrooms within suites may be decorated, not hallways or common areas (i.e, sky gardens). Students may decorate their doors using appropriate adhesives that do not damage paint or other surfaces. Only use blue or white tack for posters. Students are responsible for damage to walls, ceilings, and doors and damages will be charged to student accounts.



Damaged and missing furniture and other furnishings will be billed to the student to cover the costs of repairs, repainting, or replacements. If responsibility for damaged or missing furniture and furnishings is unclear, all occupants of the suite will be charged equally for the costs of replacements and/or repairs.


Appliances in Student Suites

Students must register their personal refrigerators and microwaves with the Facilities Department at in order to ensure the appliance is of safe and proper electrical output. If refrigerators and microwaves are not registered, students may be requested by the Facilities Department to remove them. Once registered, students are responsible for the maintenance, repair, and removal upon checking out.

Induction cookers, hot plates, ovens, and toaster ovens are strictly prohibited.


Use of Residential Common Spaces

The common lounge in each Residential College is a shared space for students and access will be restricted by Yale-NUS ID card to keep these spaces reserved for use by the community and its guests. All college-owned communal items such as board games, magazines, and books must not be removed from the common lounges. Students are responsible for keeping the common lounges clean and orderly. No furniture should be brought into or moved out of the common lounge. If furniture is rearranged for an event, it must be immediately moved back to its original position afterwards. Guests can only be invited into the common lounge by other members of the community.

Students should not place any personal items (e.g. shoes, slippers, mats, racks, clothing, bicycles, scooters, skateboards, etc.) along the hallways, staircases, or sky gardens. These items pose a fire hazard and impede the evacuation of residents in an emergency. Items found in common areas or sky gardens will be confiscated, and a fine assessed.


Cars on Campus

Students who bring cars to campus must familiarise themselves with the parking and traffic regulations issued by the Campus Security Office. Parking is allowed only in designated areas, such as the Stephen Riady Carpark.


Room Change

If students experience difficulties with a suitemate and are unable to resolve the situation themselves, they should contact their Assistant Dean or the Dean of Students Office to determine how the housing issue can be resolved. Only in the event that all types of mediation are unsuccessful may a room change be facilitated. A Room Change process can occur only if vacancies are available. Please note that this only applies to rooms within the students’ current RC. Swapping RCs is a separate process. Students are required to leave their room in move-in condition. Unapproved room exchanges are a violation of College policy and may result in official College discipline and/or a fine.

Living Space Policies


Alcohol Policy

The College expects that students observe healthy, safe, and socially responsible behaviour if students choose to consume alcohol. However, alcohol may not be sold or consumed on campus unless otherwise approved, such as in approved food outlets on campus or during approved events and programmes. Those seeking to host an event with alcohol present must contact the Dean of Students office to apply for event approval and learn more about the required guidelines and procedures for such events. Additionally, any event with alcohol present within a Residential College must be approved by that Residential College’s Rector.


Quiet Hours

Quiet hours will be between 11:00 PM and 7:00 AM every night. The College expects students to be aware of the impact their activities may have on their neighbours. If complaints are received about noise, hosts may be asked to reduce the noise level or end the event. Students concerned about excessive noise are encouraged to first contact the people responsible for the noise. If a satisfactory solution is not reached, they should contact the RCAs on call. Repeated noise violations may result in suspension of party hosting privileges for the semester or disciplinary action.


Guest policy

Common sense and common courtesy applies when having guests visit the campus or student residences. Students may have guests for brief visits, but for no longer than 3 days. Students may not have guests stay on a regular basis, i.e., every weekend. Hosts are responsible for their guest(s) and should accompany them at all times. Hosts may be held responsible for violations of the guest policy as well as any guest who violates residential or college regulations. Whenever a student has a concern about the presence of a guest in the suite, they should approach the host whom the guest is visiting to express their concerns and to seek to resolve the issues. Such matters can further be addressed by Residential Life staff, including Dean’s Fellows, Assistant Deans, and Rectors.


Theft Prevention Tips
  • Always lock your room or suite door and close your windows when you leave.
  • Keep your Access Card with you at all times.
  • Never wedge a door open.
  • Never leave laptops, wallets, or valuables exposed; store them out of sight
  • Maintain a list of all items and passwords in a secure place.
  • Engrave your ID onto valuable personal items if possible.
  • Contact Campus Security at 6601 3696 immediately if a theft has occurred

Reports of theft or loss of personal belongings made to the Security Office, located at the Fire Control Room (past the oculus on the left).


Transfer to another Residential College

Students may choose to request to transfer into another Residential College by talking to the Assistant Dean and Rector of their college. Students must have compelling reasons for requesting a transfer, fill out a request form from their respective Residential College office, and meet with the Assistant Dean and Rectors of the Colleges involved. The request can be granted if there is space available in the college the student wishes to transfer into and only after a discussion between the Assistant Dean and Rectors of the two colleges. Transfers are only considered once a year during Semester 2 for the following academic year.


Students on Leave

Students on a leave of absence from Yale-NUS who intend to return for the following semester must contact their Assistant Dean as part of returning to campus. Housing options are based on availability and will be shared with students once they have confirmed that they will return to the college.